Sunday, December 11, 2011

Thoughts at the end of the season

    This blog entry will be pretty boring, no pictures or family information.  Just some things I've learned this season that will be useful for me next year.  However if you're a gardener, too, you may want to keep on reading.
  The most important thing I've learned this year is how wonderful a fall garden is! I learned that although finicky, hard-to-grow cilantro doesn't do well for me in the spring,  it grows wonderful in the cool fall; the same for broccoli and cabbage.  I still had to combat a few green loopers, but bugs and worms were minimal in the fall.  And my, how the flavor of spinach, Swiss Chard and lettuce is so much better in the cool months! No bitterness and good enough to eat like a snack. They will grow through December if you have a covering over them.  My fall/winter beets were much better than my spring/summer ones. The same for carrots. The turnips I planted late fall grew quickly and were so sweet, tart, and crisp added to a green salad or veggie tray.
    I guess old time farmers and experienced gardeners know about the wonders of a fall garden, but like many people, I never tried one before. Everyone I know pulls everything up by September. So even though I will be out there early for a spring garden, and will depend on the hot summer for my beans, peppers, tomatoes, and melons, next year around the end of July, I will look forward to planting that fall garden!
   Now, I'm busy with quilting, Christmas preparation, grandkids and such, so this gardening blog will temporarily be retired. However, come late Feb. I will be ready to start the indoor seedlings, so will start up again with the Thankful Gardener posts.
God Bless you till then!     

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home