Tuesday, September 27, 2011

The Joy of Herbs All Winter Long

     There are a few different ways to preserve fresh basil. Some people like to make basil pesto and freeze extra  in ice cube trays. Once frozen, put the cubes in a freezer bag, and throughout the winter pop a couple frozen pesto cubes into spaghetti sauce, soups, etc. I do like this method of preserving basil, however my very favorite way is from a hint I read on the internet shared by the Italians in"Old Italy". You put a few clean basil leaves in the bottom of a glass jar, sprinkle with some kosher or sea salt (about 1/2 t.), then pour a little bit of good extra virgin olive oil over the salt & basil (about 3 Tablespoons.  Repeat these steps for several layers, till jar is full. Refrigerate.
     The oil and salt preserve the basil for a few months, and in the refrigerator, the oil becomes semi-solid.  Along with garlic powder, I spread it on bread, stick it in the oven, and have a wonderful garlic bread.  I also put a tablespoon or so in a package of frozen vegetables
before cooking, or add to spaghetti sauce, etc. I am so thankful to enjoy the taste of basil all winter, plus the olive oil is better for you than butter. (I do add it sparingly because my hubby doesn't like a lot of basil). I am going to try preserving fresh sage, rosemary, and other different herbs this way next week.
     My 2nd favorite way to preserve herbs is to put them in seasoned rice vinegar.  Many combinations work, especially lemon basil with lemon sorrel! It is great splashed on salads, to marinate meat,  and in veggie dishes.   
     So, what is your favorite herb?  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home