Friday, September 16, 2011

Perennial Spinach-- casting my vote

Last year I planted a perennial called "New ZealandSpinach".  True to it's description, it kept producing in the heat of the summer when all other spinach types gave up.  It is still producing good green leaves now that fall is coming. It slowly spreads, and grows upright to keep the leaves off the ground if lightly supported.  Those are the pros.  Now for the con.  It doesn't taste good!  I've  tried to disguise it by mixing it with other greens, and it still has a bad taste that ruins the salad.  Maybe I'll try cooking it.  I will probably end up pulling up the roots to make room next spring for something tasty.  Just wanted to share my view so others might not waste the money on seeds and valuable space if your garden is limited in size. Regular spinach is my choice, even though it's not as hardy as the  New Zealand perennial.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home